Terms & Conditions
I. Hunting PLC
- The Hunting Art Prize, now in its 36th year, is sponsored by the international oil services company Hunting PLC.
- For a full list of details and Terms and Conditions, see www.huntingartprize.com/terms-conditions.
II. The Prize
- The Hunting Art Prize is the most generous annual art prize in the U.S. for painting and drawing.
- There will be one winner, and the winning entry will be awarded a cash prize of $50,000.
- Finalists and their submitted artwork will be presented publically at the Hunting Art gala on April 30, 2016. If any finalist is unable to attend, or if their artwork is unable to be exhibited for any reason, Hunting PLC reserves the right to choose a new finalist from all eligible entries.
- Prize must be accepted as awarded without substitution and is not, in whole or in part, assignable or transferable. Hunting PLC reserves the right to substitute the prize with a different one of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason.
- Any and all travel costs related to a finalist's attendance at the gala, including, but not limited to, transportation, accommodation, food and drink, and all taxes, fees, surcharges, and/or gratuities are the sole responsibility of the finalist.
- Federal, state, and local taxes and all other costs and expenses associated with acceptance and use of any prize not specified as awarded herein are the winner's sole responsibility.
- Hunting PLC is not responsible for any cancelations, delays, diversions, substitutions, errors, or changes in service or accommodation by any service provider (including, but not limited to, lost, stolen, damaged, or delayed baggage or other personal property sent via any service provider).
- Only one prize will be awarded. If, for any reason whatsoever, more than one prize is awarded or claimed, Hunting PLC reserves the right to award the prize to the artwork that best reflects the Criteria, as defined below.
- Finalists must sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability, and where legal, Publicity Release ("Release").
III. Eligibility and Specifications
- Participants must be 18 years of age (as of August 1, 2015) or older.
- Participants must be a legal resident of Texas and have a valid Texas driver's license or identification card.
- If selected as a finalist, participants must be able to attend the Hunting Art Prize gala on April 30, 2016, with their submitted artwork for exhibition.
- Employees, officers, directors, and agents of Hunting PLC, as well as its affiliate companies and subsidiaries, are not eligible. Previous winners and present jurors are not eligible.
- The contest is exclusively a painting and drawing competition. Eligible artworks are limited to two-dimensional (2-D) paintings and drawings only. No printmaking, photography, collage, assemblage, sculpture, relief, found object, or computer-generated works will be accepted for this competition.
- The competition is limited to one entry per artist. (Single canvas, no multiple pieces. All diptych and triptych works must be attached as a single unit.)
- The work must have been completed within three years prior to November 30, 2015.
- The original artwork cannot exceed 72 inches on any side (including frame, if any).
- Submissions for the prize must be original work executed by the artist whose name appears on the sign up form. Any attempt by any entrant to submit more than the stated number of entries will void entrant's entries and entrant will be disqualified. If the identity of the individual who executed the artwork cannot be resolved to Hunting PLC's satisfaction, the affected individual's entry will be deemed ineligible. Eligibility is contingent upon the artist's agreement to grant to Hunting PLC a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive limited license that shall include the right to display, copy, and distribute the artist's work, edited or unedited in any form or medium, in connection with The Hunting Art Prize events. Artist retains all right, title, and interest in and to the original work of art and ownership of copyrights.
- 2-D paintings must be created with traditional paint medium(s) such as oil, acrylic, watercolor, pastels, or a combination thereof and should be painted on canvas, linen, panel, paper, board, or similar flat formats and must be secured on stretcher bars, with framing optional.
- 2-D drawings must be created with traditional drawing medium(s) such as pencil, pen and ink, charcoal, or a combination thereof and should be drawn on paper, panel, or board. Framing is optional.
- Paintings or drawings submitted on paper must be framed with glazing (glass or Plexiglas); loose, exposed, or unprotected paper works will not be accepted.
IV. Conditions of Entry
- Entries will be accepted from August 2015 until Midnight on November 30, 2015.
- Artists who wish to enter must fully complete an electronic sign up form at www.huntingartprize.com and upload a digital file that represents the artwork being submitted. This file must be in JPEG format and should be no less than 1MB and no greater than 2MB in size. Artwork must be uploaded at the time of sign up.
- All requested information must be provided, and unintelligible entries; entries with incomplete, invalid, incorrect, or noncurrent information; entries that are counterfeit, damaged, or tampered with in any way; and entries with printing, production, or typographical errors will be disqualified.
- Disqualified entries and entries that are late, lost, damaged, misdirected, stolen, or not delivered are not the responsibility of Hunting PLC. Proof of sent entry and/or entry receipt (such as a copy of a "thank you" page) does not constitute proof of actual receipt of entry for purposes of this contest.
- To be eligible, entries must comply with the requirements as stated herein. Hunting PLC has the right to disqualify any entry from the competition at any time, for any reason. Submissions will be reviewed at any time to ensure compliance with contest rules.
- Any artwork that includes the use of bodily fluids, degradation of religion or government, and/or depiction of sexual acts or any other medium, presentation, or topic objectionable to Hunting PLC will be automatically disqualified.
- Should an entry be disqualified at any time during the competition, the expenses are the responsibility of the artist.
- Participation in the competition in any way constitutes entrant's full and unconditional agreement to these Terms and Conditions. The decision of Hunting PLC on any and all matters relating to the competition will be final and binding.
- Hunting PLC, its agents, and/or the jurors will not enter into any correspondence regarding such decisions.
- By submitting an entry you agree to, and by entering you grant to, Hunting PLC a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive limited license that shall include the right to display, copy, and distribute your work, edited or unedited in any form or medium, in connection with The Hunting Art Prize events. Artist retains all right, title, and interest in and to the original work of art and ownership of copyrights.
- This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with Facebook or any other site or medium that might host content where information about this contest is posted or published (collectively "Content Hosts").
- A jury (selected by Hunting PLC in its sole discretion) will review the eligible digital images submitted and select finalists based on criteria such as composition, subject matter and content, originality and creativity, and execution or other criteria which is soley at the discretion of Hunting PLC (the "Criteria").
- Chosen finalists will be officially notified via email. Finalists will be required to sign the Release, and asked to submit their artwork representing their original digital file submission for final judging and for exhibition at the Hunting Art Prize gala.
VI. Finalists Submission (Note: Not adhering to the following will result in disqualification):
- If any chosen finalist is unable to be contacted using the information provided or fails to respond to Hunting PLC's attempt to notify them of finalist selection within five (5) business days; if any notification is returned as undeliverable or yields an error or undeliverable "bounce back" type email (regardless if the message is ultimately delivered to the recipient); or if any finalist fails to sign and return the Release or any other required documentation, then the chosen finalist is disqualified and an alternate will be selected.
- All finalists and/or the selected winner are subject to eligibility verification. To be verified as eligible to receive a prize, each finalist and/or the selected winner must continue to comply with all the Terms and Conditions, fulfill all requirements, and not be disqualified for any reason. An entrant is not a winner of any prize, even if notified of being a winner, unless and until the entrant's eligibility has been verified.
- All jury decisions are final, and winner selection is final subject to the satisfaction of these Terms and Conditions.
- Announcement of the prize winner will be made during the gala and exhibition. Finalists and their submitted artwork must be present to win.
- Original artwork submitted for finalist consideration MUST be the same as represented in the original digital file submission. No exceptions.
- All finalists' original artwork must be suitably framed and have both D-rings and wire and be able to be installed and hung as a single unit. (A stretched canvas does not require framing.)
- Original artwork must be labeled with the finalist's name, address, entry number, and title on the back. (You should have received an entry number from a Hunting PLC representative.)
- Hunting PLC and its agents will exercise reasonable care with the original artwork submitted but will not be responsible for loss or damage whatsoever to any work while in its custody.
- Original artwork must be stable. No unstable, loose pieces or fragile mediums will be accepted. Finalist agrees to bear all responsibility and cost associated with crating and shipping artwork according to the specifications outlined by Hunting PLC. While care will be used in handling the work, Hunting PLC and any Released Party (as defined below) are not responsible for losses or damages to property. Artists may wish to insure their work based on its value.
- Finalist also agrees to be responsible for the cost associated with picking up or otherwise retrieving their submission after the gala.
- Delivery and pickup of artwork must be within the days and times set by Hunting PLC — no exceptions. Failure to meet any deadline, for any reason, will cause disqualification of the entry.
- All entries must be available for sale at the time of submission; however, finalists are not required to sell their artwork. Any artwork chosen as a finalist must be available for final submission and exhibition at the gala, regardless if the artwork has been sold prior to the event. Any and all sales transactions are between the artist and the buyer, and in no way involve Hunting PLC.
- Artwork for pickup at the gala will be released at 9:30 pm on April 30, 2016 — not before — no exceptions.
VII. Indemnification and Limitations of Liability
- By entering, each entrant agrees to release, discharge, indemnify, and hold harmless Hunting PLC, Hunting Art Prize Foundation, Facebook, Content Hosts, and their respective parent and affiliate companies and subsidiaries, including each company's respective officers, directors, employees, agents, contractors, and subcontractors and their immediate families (spouse or domestic partner, parents, siblings, children, and all of their respective spouses or domestic partners) and household members of each such individual, and any and all other companies and individuals associated with this contest (collectively, the "Released Parties") from and against any claim or cause of action related to, or arising out of, this contest. Possible claims or causes of action include, but are not limited to, infringement of any right of publicity or intellectual property; threatened or actual injury, loss, or damage to any person, including death and disability; defamation or portrayal in a false light (intentional and unintentional); and damage to or loss of property, arising out of such entrant's participation or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. Released Parties are not responsible for technical failures of any kind, technical or human error, that may occur in the administration of this contest, and any injury or damages to persons or property that may be caused, indirectly or directly, in whole or in part, from entrant's participation in the contest. IN NO EVENT WILL RELEASED PARTIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES RELATED TO, OR ARISING OUT OF, THIS CONTEST.
- Participation in this contest constitutes any finalist or winning entrant's consent to Hunting PLC's use of the entrant's name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinion, statements, biographical information, hometown and/or state, and their submitted artwork, in any form or medium now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity, without further review, notification, payment, or consideration (unless prohibited by law).
- Hunting PLC reserves the right to cancel, suspend, and/or modify the Hunting Art Prize contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failure, tampering, computer virus, or other factor, technical or otherwise, beyond Hunting PLC's reasonable control, impairs Hunting PLC's ability to properly conduct the Hunting Art Prize contest, as determined by Hunting PLC in its sole discretion and subject to any law or regulation.
- Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this contest or the prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate federal or state court located in Harris County, Texas; and (2) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this contest, but in no event attorneys' fees. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Terms and Conditions, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and/or Hunting PLC in connection with the Hunting Art Prize contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Texas, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (no matter what jurisdiction), that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than as stated.
- The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Terms and Conditions shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision.